As a race, the English are said to value their animals more than material wealth! we do love our cats and dogs!! The French regard indifference to culinary pleasure, as a sign of an idiot, while the Italians revere racing and the opera to a similar degree.
Such national stereotypes!
There are many, and many of them even contain a grain of truth. We can safely say that humans seek pleasure and avoid pain, but what else can we claim without hedging our bets?
We could say that humans, in general, enjoy humour– but only in its place!; that they admire courage– but not the unthinking kind!; that they dislike meanness– providing that it`s distinguished from financial prudence! We could also say that motherhood meets with general approval–providing that the worlds population doesn`t threaten to explode!! But what can we say that humans approve of in an unqualified way?
They approve of COINCIDENCE! For several reasons human beings enjoy universally and without qualification, a good coincidence!!
First, because coincidence is democratic; it has no regard for wealth or station in society!
Second, coincidence suggests that the world- meaning that vastness of time and space! in which human beings can easily feel less important than a grain of sand in the Sahara Desert– is not indifferent to us! Coincidence suggests that the world, whatever it may be, is not only uncannily attentive to us, but sometimes goes to extraordinary lengths to prove it.
Thirdly, as a consequence, coincidence creates an impression of mysterious potentials, mostly unrealised, but still a possible source of relief from the dreariness of the mundane comings and goings of our everyday lives. Coincidence does enjoy a kind of unequivocal, universal popularity! it`s not surprising that we have all kinds of opinions and theories about them. Are all events, in the supposed absence of provable causal connections, in fact coincidences?! Are coincidences spurred into being by our latent psychic abilities? Do they exploit, or reveal, unities ultimately traceable to the mind of God, or to the Collective Unconcious, or to the infinite kinship systems of innumerable rebirths? Does their value lie solely in what we learn from them, of the mind`s tendancy to create the patterns it sees, and to then invest them with meaning? Will coincidence eventially yield to the picklock of correct statistical procedure? and so on!!
With nets such as these being cast, perhaps the elusive coincidence creature will someday be captured and identified. But if it is, will we ever be quite sure that the evidence that becomes available, has not merely fallen into place by virtue of the mystery we call coincidence?
COINCIDENCES CONCERNING PEOPLE!
LINCOLN AND KENNEDY
Two of the most remembered and dramatic tragedies in American history, the assassinations of presidents Abraham Lincoln and John Fitzgerald Kennedy, involve the following amazing paralles:
1) Lincoln was elected president in 1860. Exactly one hundred years later, in 1960, Kennedy was elected president.
2) Both men were deeply involved in civil rights for ethnic communities.
3) Both men were assassinated on a Friday, in the company of their wives.
4) Each wife had lost a son whilst living at the White House.
5) Both men were killed by a bullet that entered the head from behind.
6) Lincoln was killed in Ford`s Theater. Kennedy met his death while riding in a Lincoln convertible made by the Ford Motor Company.
7) Both men were succeeded by vice-presidents named Johnson who were southern democrats and former senators.
8) Andrew Johnson was born in 1808. Lyndon Johnson was born in 1908, one hundred years later.
9) The first name of Lincoln`s private secretary was John, the last name of Kennedy`s private secretary was Lincoln.
10) John Wilkes Booth the assassin of Lincoln was born in 1839 (according to some records). Lee Harvey Oswald the assassin of Kennedy was born in 1939, one hundred years later.
11) Both assassins were Southerners who held extremist views.
12) Both assassins were murdered before they could be brought to trial.
13) Booth shot Lincoln in a theater and ran to a barn. Oswald shot Kennedy from a warehouse and ran to a theater.
14) Lincoln and Kennedy each has seven letters.
15) Andrew Johnson and Lyndon Johnson each has thirteen letters.
16) John Wilkes Booth and Lee Harvey Oswald each has fifteen letters.
And lastly, Lincoln proposed a John Kennedy for vice president- John P kennedy!
A dollar bill was issued in Dallas only two weeks before JFK was killed there, it`s now known as the Kennedy assassination bill. Since Dallas is the location of the 11th of the 12 Federal Reserve Bank districts, the bill bears the letter K, the 11th letter of the alphabet, and the number 11 appears in each corner. The serial number begins with K and ends with an A, standing for Kennedy Assassination. 11 also stands for November, the 11th month of the year; two eleven`s equal twenty two, the date of the tragedy. And the series number is 1963, the year the assassination occurred.